Here at the Whitby Advertiser, we take the privacy of your information very seriously, recognising how important it is to keep your personal information safe and secure. We have always been very protective of your data and collect only what is relevant to you advertising with us and no more.
We are totally committed to ensuring that when you advertise with us, your dealings with us are completely confidential and when you give us your name, address, credit card, contact details, or any other personal details we promise to keep them safe and secure and promise never to share them with anyone else.
We take every step possible to safeguard all personal data that you give to us. This policy outlines what information we may collect from you and how we use that information, as well as how you can check what information we have about you and how you can instruct us to erase that information.
As stated above, we take your personal privacy very seriously and are committed to ensuring that your details are kept confidential and are only used by ourselves to provide you with the best customer service when advertising with us.
We promise that:
- We will never sell your personal details to any other company or individual.
- Unless specifically authorised by you, we will not pass on your details to any third-party company for mailing or marketing purposes.
When you advertise with us and give us certain personal information, this information is held securely on our computer systems and the Whitby Advertiser fully complies with all obligations required of the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (which supercedes the Data Protection Act 1998) and other current consumer and trade legislation, acts and regulations.
Our Website and Computer Systems
Our website is secure and, like our computer systems, is regularly reviewed and encryption used where appropriate ensuring that the highest level of security that is currently available is provided.
The Whitby Advertiser will always take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent loss, misuse or alteration of the personal information you provide. Though we use the latest computer hardware and software packages that use encryption used where appropriate ensuring the highest level of security, and use a trusted, accredited company to host our website and provide email services, it should be noted that transmission of data over the internet is inherently insecure and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
What information we collect
We may collect and store information you send to us that is now considered sensitive by the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (GDPR).
- company name;
- company address;
- contact names, email and telephone numbers of individuals within the company such as those who deal with advertising, marketing and accounts;
- details of your company’s trading style and the type of services or goods it provides;
- payment preferences for settling your account with us, holding bank details where necessary, for example, for direct debit mandates;
- preferences on how you would like to be kept up to date.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to provide you with a good standard of customer service when dealing with us, and in particular for the following reasons:
- communicating with you when creating adverts and placing them within our publication;
- internal record keeping, for example our invoicing and payment systems which we have to keep for legal reasons, for example HMRC tax legislation;
- we may periodically send promotional emails reminding you of our services and giving details of promotions & special offers.
Who sees your information
We may disclose your information to any of our employees or sub-contractors (for example, to our accountants or to self employed graphic designers when we out-source our artwork creation) as reasonably necessary to provide you with our services. We will never sell your information to third parties for marketing purposes other than as required by law, or as set out in this privacy statement. We will not disclose information about you to any third party without your permission. Whitby Advertiser does not accept any responsibility for the privacy policies or practices of its sub-contractors and third parties mentioned above.
Keeping in touch with you
When your advertising contract comes to an end with us, we will contact you from time to time via email or telephone offers and updates on our products and services, or simply offering our services to you again. These emails may be personalised to contain your name for promotional reasons. If you do not wish to receive such emails, please write to the Data Controller, Whitby Advertiser Ltd, Suite 2, Green Lane Centre, Green Lane, Whitby, North Yorkshire YO22 4EH or email us at info@
whitbyadvertiser.co.uk and we will delete all stored personal data about you apart from the information that we are obliged or permitted by law to retain.
Information you can hold about us
As a client of the Whitby Advertiser, we give you permission to hold the following information about us to allow you to conduct business with us:
- our business address;
- our business phone numbers;
- our business email addresses;
- staff contact names;
- our bank details to allow payment of our invoices.